Who Pays for Property Damage After a Car Accident?

Property Damage Attorneys Grand Rapids, MI

Note: Michigan’s no-fault auto insurance law is set to change on July 2, 2020. Wondering how the new law will affect your property damage claim? Call our attorneys.

Michigan is a no-fault car insurance state. Yet, you may be able to film a property damage claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company if they hit your parked car. If you were driving at the time, you may be eligible to get up to $1,000 in damages through Michigan’s mini-tort provision.

Damage to a Parked Vehicle

Did someone hit your parked car? As long as you didn’t block other parking spaces or the street, you may be able to file a third-party claim.

A third-party claim goes to the at-fault driver’s insurance company. From there, the company will compensate you for the damage done to your vehicle. This money comes from the at-fault driver’s Property Protection Insurance (PPI).

Damage to a Vehicle You’re Driving

Call our car accident attorneys if another vehicle hits you while you’re driving. If the other driver was at fault, you may be able to sue them under Michigan’s mini-tort law.

The mini-tort law allows you to sue at-fault drivers for up to $1,000 in damages not covered by insurance. This money will help you offset the cause of repairs to your vehicle.

PPI does NOT cover damage to vehicles that aren’t parked. That’s why you’ll need to seek compensation through the mini-tort provision if you’re hit while driving. Request a consultation with one of our auto accident lawyers if you’re unsure what to do next.

Damage to Buildings and Other Structures

PPI covers up to $1 million in property damage to buildings, signs, fences, and other structures. Under Michigan law, the insurance company of the at-fault driver must pay compensation. Call our auto accident attorneys if you have issues filing a third-party claim.

What If the At-Fault Driver Doesn’t Have Auto Insurance?

It’s illegal to drive in Michigan without auto insurance. 

Still, this doesn’t stop thousands of uninsured drivers from using our roads every day. While not required, we recommend drivers get collision and comprehensive insurance. This type of insurance compensates you for damage to your car in the event of a car accident.

Collision Coverage

There are three types of collision coverage you can choose from:

  • Limited
  • Standard
  • Broad form

For most of these, you’ll need to pay a deductible before the insurance company covers the cost of repairs. The only exception would be if you have broad form coverage and are 50% or less at fault for the car accident. In this case, you would not have to pay the deductible.

What If Both Drivers Have Insurance?

Even if you weren’t at fault for the car accident, it may be easier to use your own collision coverage. If you do, your insurance company can later seek reimbursement from the at-fault driver’s insurer.

On the other hand, you may choose to file your claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company from the start. One of our car accident attorneys can help you make the right decision for your specific case.

Get Help with Your Property Damage Claim

Our Grand Rapids, MI, property damage attorneys are ready to help you get the compensation you need. Call Beurkens Law at (616) 459-5344, or contact us online for a free consultation.

This blog post has been updated.

Schedule Your Free Initial Consultation

Our criminal defense attorneys help individuals who are worried about paying heavy fines, going to jail or losing their jobs. Let our years of experience work for you! Get a free case evaluation here or call us right now at (616) 459-5344.

Copyrights © 2023 | Jerry M. Beurkens Law Office | All Rights Reserved.

Digital Marketing & Website by Web Traffic Partners